Shrine of Our Lady of the Olive


Shrine of Our Lady of the Olive
A shrine of the Madonna with child, considered miraculous, in danger of being submerged by the waters of the Lake, in 1522 after disconnecting from the wall of the painting, was endorsed by the Chief prior of Passignano, Lambardo Lambardi, on a trunk of olive trees.

At the end of the XVI century, in the same place the erection of the temple began, due to the donations of the faithful and to the use of material derived from the remains of the nearby Convent of San Vincenzo.
Big boost to building came from Duke Diomedes della Corgna, son of the great leader Ascanio, who, assaulted in Castiglione del Lago by Giovanni of Bande nere of Florentine family Medici, crossed the Trasimeno with a boat on a stormy night finding salvation right on the shore in front of the temple.
Among the gifts, the statue of the Madonna and child is relevant, sculpted by Ascanio Cortonese, traditionally representing the wife and son of Diomedes while fleeing by boat, as well as a font.